julieharrison

The Husband's Secret
Liane Moriarty
Doll Bones
Holly Black
The Year of Shadows - Claire Legrand Now this is a ghost story, complete with friendly spirits, evil shades, earthly anchors, and possessions. Those who didn't like the otherworldly evils of Harry Potter won't like this either. I enjoyed the unique setting of a crumbling orchestra hall, and the incorporation of classical music (though it might not mean much to kids yet. Will they ask their parents about Mahler No. 2?). We find Olivia in a bad place in several respects, but I found her unforgiving stubbornness when it comes to those who care about her to be frustrating. The logic behind the ghosts mostly works, but gets a little fuzzy when talking about the future. I think the ghost business was meant to be literal and not just part of Olivia's imagination, so I read it as so, and I suspect kids would too. If they don't think too hard about how it works, they should enjoy this frightening ghost story in an unusual setting.I received an electronic review copy of this book from Simon & Schuster via edelweiss.